Sunday, November 8, 2009

COTTO: PACQUIAO WON'T BEAT ME

BOXING NEWS


Picture
Cotto - vowed to halt latest Pacquiao's title bid.


Miguel Cotto is convinced he will beat Manny Pacquiao in Saturday's Las Vegas superfight.

Cotto is rated the underdog by the bookmakers for the pair's showdown at the MGM Grand, where Pacquiao will be seeking a seventh world title - namely Cotto's WBO welterweight crown.

However, the Puerto Rican is adamant that will not happen.

"If he thinks he is going to win seven titles in seven weight divisions now, he has picked the wrong moment, the wrong fighter and the wrong opponent," said Cotto.

"If he thinks he is going to win the seventh title against Miguel Cotto, he is very wrong."

Pacquiao's trainer, Freddie Roach, has spoken about how his man could end the fight in the very first round but, not surprisingly, Cotto has scoffed at such suggestions.

"Forget about Freddie Roach," he said when asked about the trainer's comments. "The only thing Freddie can do is train Manny. He can't go over the ropes and into the ring to fight against Miguel Cotto. He can only train Manny the best he can.

"He may say and think Manny will knock me out but at the end of the day, it is just Manny and Miguel Cotto in the ring. No matter what kind of things Freddie Roach says before the fight, I have a very strong mind. The psyche game? I'm not going to follow that game."

There have also been suggestions that the Pacquiao camp are already planning ahead for their man's next fight in March - possibly against Floyd Mayweather Jr - but Cotto says if that's the case then they are playing a dangerous game.

"What they say and what they do does not concern me," Cotto added. "They know what they have in front of him. He better be focused on what they will have in front of him in Miguel Cotto.

"Once I beat Manny Pacquiao they can continue their plans and do what they want but I am not going home without winning this fight."

Instead it could be Cotto facing Mayweather should he win on Saturday night.

Asked about the prospect of such a fight, Cotto said: "I am here for the big names and ready for the hot opponents. That's what boxing needs for the guys at the top to fight other guys at the top, like it was 20 years ago. Make the fights that fans want to watch.

"I am here for any boxer that wants to fight Miguel Cotto. They have to start with my company and I am more than ready to fight the biggest names in boxing."

sportinglife.com

-----

The suspense is killing me and the days seems taking forever. I already secured a ticket to watch it live on a mall near our town. If I stay at home at watch it on TV, it will be approximately three hours delayed and the news of who wins the bout will reach us first even before the first round starts. This time I'm really hoping the oddsmakers are correct on who will most likely to win and I hope Manny Pacquiao wins as convincingly similar to his last three opponents. No offense to Puerto Ricans but being a Filipino myself I am rooting for my countryman Manny Pacquiao. On November 15, Manila time, let us all enjoy the greatest boxing event of the year.

Raul B. Romilla

Boxing Fanatico

No comments:

Post a Comment